Risk Versus Hazard: Hypocrisy in Policy
This panel discussion, introduced by Sweta Chakraborty, addressed a range of questions:
- How can we ensure that the UK and EU regulations are based on scientific risk assessments?
- How do we prevent confusion between what is meant by ‘risk’ versus ‘hazard’?
- How do the courts define risk?
- Have risk and hazard been conflated by the courts?
- Should the courts be involved in the science of risk?
Bringing together key actors across science, regulation, policy, and law, the discussion aims to shed light on the risk versus hazard debate, uncovering solutions to aid regulators, policymakers, and lawyers to develop more consistent, science-based regulations for Europe.